* The 2021 winners are live – click here see the winning shots! *
2021 Contest Announcement & Rules
Who knew that trip-taking would be curtailed just a few weeks later???
ROAM’s 2021 Best Family Travel Photo Contest to commemorate a historic year for families everywhere – and celebrate the spirit of adventure and wanderlust we witnessed in travelers, despite the pandemic.
The winner of ROAM’s Photo Contest will win a Grand Prize of $250! The editors will also award $50 to four runner ups. An additional group of photos will be recognized as Honorable Mentions.
All winning photos will be featured in ROAM editorial and on our social media channels. Read on for the all the contest details.
Entry Fee: Free!
Prizes: Grand Prize wins $250 and four runners-up will each win $50 each
Deadline: Enter by February 28, 2021.
Winners: All winners will be notified via Instagram DM and announced on ROAM in March 2021
How to Enter:
- Follow ROAM on Instagram
- Post your favorite photo on Instagram & tag @ROAMFamilyTravel and add the hashtag #roam2021 so we can find it! Camera shy?! Just DM us the photo on Instagram or email your entry to email@example.com
- Share this post to your Instagram Stories so we can spread the word about the contest.
Know a fellow traveler with amazing photos? Nominate that feed by tagging their account under this post or simply send us their profile via DM and we will review their photos for consideration!
- Winners will be required to email high-resolution photos for publication.
- Photos may be edited, cropped if needed.
- Multiple entries are fine but only one winner per IG account. Complete rules are below.
What We Love: Remember, ROAM is all about REAL family travel. Publicity shots of airbrushed model parents and kids with perfectly combed hair need not enter. We love the shots that say, “This is why I love traveling with my kids!” Want an idea of what our editors love? Check out our gallery of winning photos from ROAM’s 2019 contest and our 2020 contest winners, too.
Judging: The following members of the ROAM team will select the winning photographs:
Didrik Johnck – ROAM Photographer at Large
Didrik brings more than 20 years of experience producing original content and interactive experiences for online audiences. His roots as a professional editorial and commercial photographer include more than 1,000 publication credits and Time magazine cover. His love for storytelling eventually brought him out from behind the camera and into the director’s chair. He’s now shot, produced, and/or directed more than 400 webisodes for some of the largest sites online, including MSN, MSNBC, and Yahoo. Longer-form productions include cinematography roles in documentary films with a focus on cultural and adventure travel.
Some of the highlights of Didrik’s camera and production work include music videos, live streaming concerts, Himalayan climbing expeditions, underground subcultures, adventure travel programming, auto reviews, the first online US presidential debate, and the first online-only interview with a sitting US president. Family travel overseas is relatively new for Didrik. He and his wife and two young boys have visited Baja, the Caribbean and most recently Thailand. Didrik is based in Bend, Oregon. Instagram.com/didrikjohnck
Working with families, taking portraits of families, and having a family has taught Crystal how to photograph, edit and examine images for that “something” that sets a great one apart. As ROAM’s photo editor, she looks at hundreds of vacation memories every year so she’ll know the best when she sees them.
You’ll recognize Liliia’s name as the Grand Prize Winner of ROAM’s 2019 Best Family Travel Photo Contest! A global citizen, Ukraine native, intrepid traveler, and extraordinary photographer and blogger (in both English AND Russian), Liliia and her husband Jose have trekked Everest, walked the Camino, and explored much of Asia and Europe with their two daughters.
Maryann Jones Thompson – ROAM Editor in Chief
After a thousand years in publishing as a business journalist, ghostwriter, content strategist and market researcher, Maryann founded ROAM to share the travel tales and details from intrepid family adventures.
Maria De La O – ROAM Executive Editor
Magazine editor. Documentary filmmaker. Copy expert. Mother. Traveler. Maria brings it all to the pages of ROAM.
Willow Taylor Chiang Yang – ROAM Editorial Assistant
Though a passion for politics and economics normally drives Willow Taylor Chiang Yang (she/her/hers) to more politically oriented endeavors, we somehow convinced the SF Bay Area native to try something new through interning at ROAM.
ROAM 2021 Best Family Travel Photo Contest FAQ – Terms & Conditions
- The Instagram Photo Contest is run by ROAM Family Travel.
- This contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Instagram.
- By entering the competition each entrant agrees to be bound by these terms and conditions. ROAM Family Travel contributors, contractors and their relatives are excluded from the competition.
- Photos can be digitally enhanced if desired.
- The ROAM Family Travel Instagram Contest will run on the official ROAM Family Travel Instagram account.
- The closing date for entry will be at 11:59 PM (PST) on February 28, 2021. After this date no further entries to the competition will be permitted.
- The competition winner will receive $250 and four runner-up entrants will receive $50 each. All prizes will be awarded via PayPal. An additional 15-20 photos will be recognized as “honorable mentions” and displayed with winning shots but receive no cash prize. All winners will be featured in ROAM digital and print editorial, as well as social media accounts for ROAM.
- The winner must be able to receive and redeem the prize via PayPal and email and provide a valid email address.
- Winners will be chosen by the editors of ROAM Family Travel.
- Entries that are deemed inappropriate and/or offensive will not be included. You are liable for the content of your entry.
- There is no limit to the amount of times that a person can enter but each Instagram account can only win once per year.
- There is no cost involved to enter.
- ROAM Family Travel accepts no responsibility for entries not received.
- The winner will be notified by ROAM Family Travel in March 2021 via Instagram direct message.
- A winner will forfeit his/her prize if he/she is in breach of any of the terms and conditions or has found to have manipulated the competition.
- The winner must respond to ROAM Family Travel’s Instagram direct message within 3 days. If the prize is unclaimed after this time, it will lapse and ROAM Family Travel reserves the right to offer the unclaimed prize to a substitute winner.
- Data relating to entrants will be retained by ROAM Family Travel for a reasonable period after the competition closes to assist ROAM Family Travel to operate competitions in a consistent manner and to deal with any queries on the competition.
- ROAM Family Travel will only be liable for intent and negligence, except in case of a negligent breach of an essential contractual commitment. In this case, the liability of ROAM Family Travel with simple negligence is limited to the predictable damage which is typical for raffles. The limitation of liability is not valid in case of damage of life, body or health. There is no right of appeal. An enforceable claim for the winnings or the payout in cash does not exist.
- ROAM Family Travel respects photographers’ copyrights. Upon submitting a photograph to this contest, you grant ROAM Family Travel the right to publish that photograph for editorial or promotional use without compensation as part of promoting the ROAM photo contest winners online and in print.
Liliia DeCos – February 2021
© ROAM Family Travel 2021 – All rights reserved