You can do it! The Aloha State’s travel restrictions make it a safe place to take the kids during the pandemic. Just follow the rules in this article and you’ll be beachside in no time.
By Maryann Jones Thompson
Traveling to Hawaii during the pandemic ain’t impossible but it ain’t easy, either. The rules are a bit confusing but we love ‘em because they’re keeping both residents and travelers healthy.
When the current virus outbreaks settle down, we think a longer Zoom-cation in Hawaii will be just what the doctor ordered. That’s why we put Hawaii on our list of ROAM’s 21 Covid-safe Adventures for 2021.
So if a little aloha, swim & sun before/after work/school sounds good to you – and you’re not afraid to wear a mask and follow other local rules on arrival – here’s how to get there:
How to Travel to OAHU, MAUI & BIG ISLAND During Covid-19
- You gotta have a negative test within 72 hours of travel.
- Not just any test – a NAAT test taken at an approved facility
- All travelers 18 and older must register with the SafeTravels Hawaii app
- If you upload the negative result to the app, you’ll get a QR code to speed entry
- In January 2021, United Airlines announced a new program to screen their passengers in order to allow a speedier entry to Hawaii.
- In February 2021, Maui made it a must to download the AlohaSafe Alert App to notify you if you are exposed to the virus on the isle.
- Travelers age 5 and over need a negative test
- Vaccines are NOT an exemption – you still need a negative test
- They ain’t kidding – they’ll quarantine you or send you home if you don’t play by the rules
- Skip a TON of googling and bookmark this official site for the latest, official state-wide details: hawaiicovid19.com/travel
How to Travel to KAUAI During Covid-19
- Quarantine 10 days on arrival – UNLESS staying in the new “bubble resort” program
- Follow Safe Travel Hawaii procedures above to get a negative test
- Book 3-4 nights at a participating property (hint: there ain’t any budget options)
- Shuttle directly to the resort on arrival (no car renting yet)
- Pay $80+ for a mandatory monitoring bracelet for everyone in the family
- Stay only on the resort grounds for 72 hours
- Pay for and take a post-arrival test for the entire family
- Get negative results
- Earn your freedom to roam the Garden Isle!
- Again, trust us, skip the Googling and just visit this site for the latest, official scoop on travel to Kauai www.kauai.gov/COVID-19
Maryann Jones Thompson – January 2021
After a thousand years in publishing as a business journalist, ghostwriter, content strategist and market researcher, Maryann brings her experience traveling as a backpacker, businessperson, expat and mom to writing and editing for ROAM.
© ROAM Family Travel 2021 – All rights reserved
It's not just for billionaires anymore.
Oh the places you'll go... from home!
Locals' favorite family-friendly lakefront destinations
Same coast. More value. Fewer crowds.
25 unique & classic must-drive vacations for families
Incredible golds, oranges and reds of the coast, high desert and mountains.
Gotta get away? Check these ideas for COVID-19 trips
Armchair trips for active families.
Take the grandparents on a cross-state odyssey of Wild West vistas & outdoor majesty
Your one-stop-shop for 2020 family vacation ideas from all the top travel writers.