Follow this tried-and-true path to the most brilliant art, food and shopping in San Francisco’s hip district.
by Maryann Jones Thompson
There’s nothing like a stroll through The Mission. From vibrant murals and foods to the hum of locals and Muni buses, this district is where San Francisco was born!
And when a break from the fog is required, locals know to head to The Mission for The City’s sunniest skies.
After decades of guiding friends and family around the best of San Francisco, here’s my tried-and-true instructions for families who want to see the best of one of San Francisco’s most colorful districts:
- Start with a Mission-style burrito at La Taqueria. Yes, this must be done 😉
- Stroll 24th & Balmy Alley for the murals and shops
- Pop into St. Francis Fountain for a pic or a malted or La Palma for some fresh chips & salsa for later
- Wander north on Mission for a more “original” Mission then cut over on 22nd to continue north on Valencia for the “gentrified” Mission
- Go west on 20th to Dolores Park for the views and playground
- Hit Bi-Rite Creamery for ice cream on 18th at Dolores
- End 2 blocks up Dolores at Mission Dolores, the Spanish settlement where the City by the Bay officially began in 1776. Pay the admission so you can see the graveyard where Hitchcock’s Vertigo’s scenes were filmed.
Maryann Jones Thompson – November 2020
After a thousand years in publishing as a business journalist, ghostwriter, content strategist and market researcher, Maryann brings her experience traveling as a backpacker, businessperson, expat and mom to writing and editing for ROAM.
© ROAM Family Travel 2021 – All rights reserved
More to do after the choo-choo
Pass the Outer Banks for the “Wright” Beach
Fun in Florence, Newport & Cannon Beach
Granada, Seville, and Córdoba—and much more
Big city, small town, nature - oh, and incredible food!
Get a taste of the REAL Provence
How to get RVs, resort pools, chef dinners, and more
Art! Architecture! Parks! Garlic fries!
A day-by-day recap of one family's Alpine trek
Beach bliss, leaf-peeping & Zoomcations