Follow this tried-and-true path to the most brilliant art, food and shopping in San Francisco’s hip district.
by Maryann Jones Thompson
There’s nothing like a stroll through The Mission. From vibrant murals and foods to the hum of locals and Muni buses, this district is where San Francisco was born!
And when a break from the fog is required, locals know to head to The Mission for The City’s sunniest skies.
After decades of guiding friends and family around the best of San Francisco, here’s my tried-and-true instructions for families who want to see the best of one of San Francisco’s most colorful districts:
- Start with a Mission-style burrito at La Taqueria. Yes, this must be done 😉
- Stroll 24th & Balmy Alley for the murals and shops
- Pop into St. Francis Fountain for a pic or a malted or La Palma for some fresh chips & salsa for later
- Wander north on Mission for a more “original” Mission then cut over on 22nd to continue north on Valencia for the “gentrified” Mission
- Go west on 20th to Dolores Park for the views and playground
- Hit Bi-Rite Creamery for ice cream on 18th at Dolores
- End 2 blocks up Dolores at Mission Dolores, the Spanish settlement where the City by the Bay officially began in 1776. Pay the admission so you can see the graveyard where Hitchcock’s Vertigo’s scenes were filmed.
Maryann Jones Thompson – November 2020
After a thousand years in publishing as a business journalist, ghostwriter, content strategist and market researcher, Maryann brings her experience traveling as a backpacker, businessperson, expat and mom to writing and editing for ROAM.
© ROAM Family Travel 2021 – All rights reserved
It's not just for billionaires anymore.
Oh the places you'll go... from home!
Locals' favorite family-friendly lakefront destinations
Same coast. More value. Fewer crowds.
25 unique & classic must-drive vacations for families
Incredible golds, oranges and reds of the coast, high desert and mountains.
Gotta get away? Check these ideas for COVID-19 trips
Armchair trips for active families.
Take the grandparents on a cross-state odyssey of Wild West vistas & outdoor majesty
Your one-stop-shop for 2020 family vacation ideas from all the top travel writers.